Tuesday, January 18, 2011

First Day of Preschool

I can't believe its here already, but Smith and Addison started pre-school today. They're now members of the "Poohs Twos" at our church pre-school.

They were quite excited, especially about their backpacks.

Addison is quite excited!

Someone's ready to learn, someone's ready to play.


On our way to school!

Smith loved his backpack!

All in all, everyone's holding up ok. There were no tears from either children or parents as we dropped them off (although, I can't promise that there weren't a few before or after on part of the parents). Smith and Addison marched in like they owned the place. We're so proud of them and the people they are becoming. Any tears are simply because we realize they're growing up so fast. Last night, at bedtime, Smith was having an exceptionally hard time getting calmed down - so I went in and we played our game where we kiss through the slats of his crib. It just reiterated the fact that before too long, my little boy won't want to kiss his dad at all, much less through the slats of the crib. And Addison - don't get me started - my little girl who loves to sit in my lap and ask for "tickles" is growing up just as fast.

My parents often said that good parenting is preparing your children for life the best you know how - so their growing up isn't scary, because you know you've done the best job you can do. I told their teachers today - any sadness on our part had nothing to do with the care we know they'll receive at school, but that simply it marks the first in a long line of times that they'll move farther and farther away from needing and wanting us.

It dawned on me last night how ironic it is that you can't really appreciate a parent/child bond until you are a parent yourself. Even now, I have a hard time believing MY parents ever felt this way about me - but I know, in fact, they did and continue to do so.

Smith and Addison - your mommy and daddy love you and are so proud of you. You may never truly understand what those words mean to us, but know that you truly are the best thing to ever happen in our lives (aside from meeting each other). We can't wait to know and love you in the future, but we want to enjoy the yous that you are right now too.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Sweet post-- love it. You are right about all of it.

Jen said...

Daniel, this post made me cry. You said it so beautifully!

Amber said...

All very true! I try to enjoy the moments I have with Carter now instead of wishing him older. All our babies are growing up so fast!

Cookie and Poppy said...

Well said Daniel..when did you get so wise? Krissee, did you tell him that? I love all the pictures and you know these babies are my heart.