Thursday, April 7, 2011

I am no superman

We've really tried to keep things even on this blog to date: Mention Smith, mention Addison. That will continue, but they are two distinct individuals, with unique personalities, wants, and demeanors. As such, the one size fits all blog posts may not be the best approach and we'll try to make sure all are equally represented.

With that out of the way, my first entry (yes, Its an awkward plural to singular shift, but appropriate!) is regarding  my little girl, Addison. She's definitely what one might call a Daddy's girl. More appropriately, her father might be called a sucker for his daughter.

Regardless of what the true moniker is, Addison loves her daddy, and her Daddy loves his daughter. Please don't misinterpret, I love my son Smith more than words can express. But Addison is my daughter. Whether its PC or not, she's my little girl and its my dutyto be her dad.

The only problem with this, is her eyes....The way she looks at me. Maybe its a father's pride, but her eyes look at me like I am a superhero. That I can fix anything. That I can make anything better. At this point in her life, I can. Smith loves me, no doubt. But he treats more like "That is a cool dude, I want to hang out with him." Addison treats me like "Dad can heal the world with a single touch."

For instance, last night, around 9:00 PM, little Miss Thang comes out to the den and lets us know thatshe's not asleep. She's obviously upset about something, and I take her (and her brother, who she brought along with her) back to bed.

After a couple of false starts, all it took for my little girl to get back to sleep was for me to sit there with my hand on her chest. After ten minutes, baby girl was back dreaming of ponies and mansions.

Sadly, I realized pretty quickly, the days where Dad's hand is the fix-it are going to end. Some day, I won't be the superhero she see's me as. Someday, they're will be something I can't fix. I hate it. I hate the idea of her hurting. I hate the idea that Dad won't be able to come through one day. The harsh reality of life is that it'll happen. But when it does, I want my little girl to know that I love her, and I'll always let her fall asleep with my hand on her chest - that's something her husband will just have to be OK with.

4 comments:

Cookie and Poppy said...

This made me cry. Her Cookie feels the same way, and I'm sure her Mom does too, but Daniel, you are a special Dad. Yes, you definitely a prince. sniff, sniff

Jaysey said...

Thanks for making me cry into my morning cup of coffee!

Chap and Heather said...

Sweetest post ever...thanks for the Sunday morning sob fest. Addison has a pretty amazing daddy, I know you'll do everything you can to always be her superhero...and I'm pretty sure she'll always believe it. I know I still do. Big Norm is the first I call...no matter what time, what place, what situation. Even though he cant always "fix it", per say, his love and confidence in me reminds me that I can. That is the greatest gift a dad can give his little girl, ever.

Renee said...

No, you may not always be able to fix anything, but you will always be her superhero if you continue being the person you are. I know that's not going to change anytime soon. This did make me teary eyed because I know that for some girls they still have this. They still look up to their fathers and hold every man up to the standard they set. I have a feeling Addison will have a hard time finding someone to measure up years down the road. :D