Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It ain't easy, being....

The role of expectant father is an odd one: You and the mother of your children got into it together, but your life really doesn't change that much. I've still been able to eat and drink what I want. I'm still sleeping soundly throughout the night, never once getting up to visit the potty. My body is still pretty much the same size as it was 7 months ago (although I have gained some sympathy weight, but that's another post.) Without inviting you into our bedroom too much, I got to have sex and then nine months later get rewarded with children (two in my case!). That's not a bad deal for a future dad.

I can't imagine what its like to be an expectant mother. From the moment you see the two little pink lines on the test (or the digital pregnant readout, or both, because we wanted to be SURE), your body isn't just yours anymore. Every single action has consequences for not just your life, but for another. In the case of twins, you're responsible for two extra lives.

And while the excitement of pregnancy is awesome, I don't think my wife will mind me sharing this: it ain't easy. It ain't happy. Anyone who tells you that its so wonderful and easy has probably already HAD their children. There is no doubt that much of the pain and discomfort are forgotten once you hold your baby(s) in your arms. But in the midst of? Its there full force.

Just here lately, the hormones have been an raging. There have been a number of times that tears have just started flowing for no reason, and rather than turning a sympathetic ear, I just start laughing. This normally sends the wife into a hysterical laugh/cry combo which should totally be featured on America's Funniest home videos.

Add on top of that the inability to find comfort in your once plush and heavenly bed? You've got the makings of breakdown central. I get it. I can't imagine it.

So publically, I want to say to my wife: Thank you. Thank you for putting up with the discomfort so that we may have our family. I know that you know its worth it, but even the best of us get down sometimes. Its okay. You're in the home stretch. You've handled everything so remarkably up 'till now. Just think, in a few short weeks we'll be holding Smith and Addison and changing diapers and arguing if it was gas or a real smile. I love you. Please just hang in there, and in a few months, you'll laugh and tell all your newly pregnant friends about how your pregnancy wasn't that bad and that you'd never felt better in your life!

To the rest of the mother's out there (mine especially) - thank you. Thank you for the pain and suffering you've gone through to get us here.

12 comments:

Krissee said...

Awe...you just made me cry again. I know it will be worth it and its probably going to get worse before it gets better. Thanks for recognizing that its not a walk in the park and although we expecting moms might smile and say we feel good its not really true but we tell people this because its just easier than listing out all the things that hurt. This is such a sweet entry and it totally just made my day.

Alisha said...

Krisee-- thanks for your comment but don't feel bad-- not getting a good night's sleep is DEFINITELY something to cry about. It's horrible! I don't know if you've done all of this but I sleep with 4 pillows. One under my head, one on the side under my belly, one on the other under my back, and one between my legs. Hope that helps! Hang in there!

Ashley said...

What a sweet entry, Daniel.
Thanks for making my friend do the whole laugh/cry thing. Thanks for getting her knocked up (he he) and thanks for being supportive during these past crazy months! :-)
Love ya'll!
Ash

Cookie and Poppy said...

Daniel, you truly are a great husband. This really made me cry. Even when you really want to sleep, or finish that last paragraph, you reach deep down for the empathy. You are going to be a great dad, and I'm so glad you are my son.

Oh yeah, I'm claiming the sympathy weight too. A grandmother has rights too...???

Marilyn

Jaysey said...

Oohh...me, too--sympathy weight.

Krissee: I believe that it must suck to be you more often than not these days (at least in terms of phsyical discomfort, emotional rollercoasters, etc.). But you're lucky...lucky in love. ("I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky...": name that song/artist).

Daniel: think post-birth (not immediate) trip to spa...full day, full body treatment...mmm...what better way to show your appreciation. ;-)

Jenn said...

Daniel, you are so sweet! I got a little teary-eyed just reading it. Nice job!

Krissee, you are lucky to have such a wonderful husband! (Of course, Daniel is lucky to have you, too.) Hang in there...it's almost time!!!
~Jenn Crawford

Colly said...

I fianlly remembered my password!!!
I think you are doing a great job as well, and how awesome it is that Daniel really puts some thought into his appreciation of you!!!! Hang in there slugger, they'll be sliding home soon!! ;-)
get it! gross.

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

that even made me tear up a little. i'm just going to blame that on the pregnancy hormones still! daniel, way to go with the empathy...that's what we really need from you guys to help get us through!

Chap and Heather said...

Wow, good job Daniel! Chap has some homework tonight...reading this should be a requirement for all men!

Colly, your baseball analogy cracked me up a bit...homerun!

Chap and Heather said...

PS...I have been trying for way too long to remember my password to your other blog to leave a comment, since that isn't working out I'm leaving it here =)

LOVE that you did that! I might have been able to answer a lot of those, but reading that was hilarious! I laughed a lot about her mowing the yard abilities, I think I have the same problem! Also, I didn't know you could sing??? So, basically I'm the only one in the family with NO vocal ability...neat-o!!

side note: I think 'Aunt Heather' sounds best, don't you?

The Morgans said...

Daniel, you are one of a kind. That was really sweet of you. I appreciate you and Krissee for being so honest during this whole process. For all of us who aren't pregnant or don't have kids, we appreciate the honesty of everything. Good job Buddy!

Krissee, I think you have handled your pregnancy with grace, even if you don't think so. I hope that I can do the same one day. You are an inspiration!!! Hang in there, buddy. I know you can do it!!!

Love you guys,
B

Jen said...

OH Man! You've nailed it. It was uncomfortable (and I only had one 6lb baby in there!), but I NEVER think about that anymore! It is all SO worth it!