Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Our first children

Prior to Smith and Addison being born (all signs are pointing to an August 4th induction, but its still not official yet. Labor could also be started without induction any time now. Waiting...Waiting...Waiting), I thought it'd be important to highlight our first two "children." Allie and Bailey are like family to me, and Krissee tolerates them! They're in for such a rude awakening when we bring two bundles of screaming joy home in a few weeks.


Allie was the first dog. Krissee, not being such an animal person, took some coaxing to agree to a dog. Once she finally agreed to it, she got busy on her research as to what kind of dog to get. For me, there was never any question... I wanted a retriever of some variety (golden, lab, mutt).

After much searching, and a chance encounter with a goldendoodle on a beach, we settled on the goldendoodle variety. Armed wtih allegedly the best characteristics of both golden retreivers and poodles, we sought her out.

Now, I love my girl. She'll be 3 in November. But she is stubborn. And will not listen. And she likes trash.(Seriously, she's happiest when she can get into trash). I liken her to a child in that I love her to pieces, but she annoys me to no end sometimes (and don't go getting all self righteous out there - any parent who is being honest will tell you that their children annoy the HELL out of them sometimes, and if you don't agree then you live in an awesome fantasy world.)

She certainly lovable moments, and she may be the worlds best cuddler.

For Allie's first birthday, I put together a little video montage of photos. You can check it out on YouTube here.


Everything about Bailey Day is the antithesis of Allie. Allie's inclusion into our family was planned for months. Bailey? Someone was handing out puppies out of the back of a car at a flea market and we fell in love. Allie is stubborn and and bull headed. Bailey is obedient and kind.

Bailey is almost a year and half old. She's a quiet companion who wants nothing more than to be by your side. Her precious eyes get her out of most any trouble that she'd ever cause. She's actually the one I worry about the most as the babies arrive, because I Think she'll have quite the hard time adjusting to the universe's center shifting.


I'm a dog person. Always have been. Most often, I like 'em more than I like people. I know that my children will become my world, but I will always have a special place in my heart for my first two "kids." We keep telling Allie and Bailey that we're going to be bringing them home two new best friends. It'll take some time, but I'm pretty sure they'll agree eventually.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Cookie and Poppy said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. Thanks for the memories. Since I am not really an animal person, it has been interesting getting to know the dogs' personalities. Allie has been a lot of fun (although arrogant) and Bailey is my "painting buddy" at your house. She always checks on me, or stays with me the whole time. I do know that Krissee feels safer with your "first children" there when you are away.

Jaysey said...

I love dogs--so much better than people. Dogs, for example, do not cause explosions in their homes that threaten to take out entire neighborhoods. People do that. People suck.

Rebecca said...

Daniel,
I love the blog! Our lab Molly is our first baby! She has done great each time we have introduced a new brother to her! :) She is a very calm dog and not aggressive. However, she loves my boys! She used to go into their rooms and check on them at night if she didn't actually see me put them to bed. The only time I have ever seen her get really aggressive was once when my mother-in-law's dog barked at and jumped on my oldest son who was about 18 months old at the time. I tried to get to him to help, but Molly was faster. She put herself in between JC and the dog and almost killed that dog. For the rest of our visit if the dog or anyone else besides me walked towards him she would block the way to protect him. She might not protect me, but good heavens don't get near my boys or she might eat you! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but you supplied incorrect information to everyone. What about your real FIRST child? The one you abandoned? The cat??????????

Now HE was a cool kid...

Chap and Heather said...

They were pretty cute last weekend, all weepy and droopy outside the nursery (occasionally tip toeing in...).

Well, if they feel neglected they can come visit their cousin Brodey b/c he has been classified as 'depressed' since he's outside all day with nobody to throw the ball to him. He could use some friends!

Daniel said...

Laura/CrimsonQ66:

Butch was MY first child. Allie and Bailey were OUR first children.

And yes, he was a cool kid. Unfortunately he just didn't like moving.