Friday, August 15, 2008

Father of the year

(Before I get into the meat of this, we've got our two week old checkup this afternoon. Expect all the details, and maybe a few new pictures afterward!)

In the "our life is an open book" vein of this blog, here is the twins feeding plan: Krissee fully intended to breast feed, but the smaller size of the babies coupled with the practical realities of feeding two babies at once have forced us to use bottles. Krissee is pumping and we're on a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of breast milk and formula. Its working out great and seems to be a win/win for all parties (meaning mom isn't strapped to a baby all day, we know how much they're feeding, and Dad gets to help!)

So, Krissee pumps, and its my job to make up bottles once a day. At this point, they're eating about 3 oz. at every feeding (which is every 3 hours), so every night I'm making a breast milk/formula cocktail. Just call me a mixologist. For those doing the math at home, thats 24 oz of each, for a total of 48 oz needed to fill all 16 bottles. For those who are in the know, that's twelve scoops of formula.

On Wed. night, when I'm making the formula, I did the unthinkable and got distracted. Was that scoop # 7 or #8? Figuring that it wasn't a big deal, really, I erred on the side of caution and went with the lower number, cause, babies need nutrients, you know? I completed the formula mixing and went on to my next task, never giving it a second thought.

Thursday, we were fighting what we thought were sick babies - lots of mucous that made feeding take an hour. Their poor little mouths were filling up with this thick pasty stuff. They weren't finishing their bottles. All in all, not a Day was happy.

Last night, after struggling with the 7 o'clock feeding, it was time again for me to make the bottles. As I'm getting ready to do the formula, it dawns of me...I may have put too much formula in the day before. Too much powder = thicker liquid = harder to swaller = less intake.

So, I ensured that the correct amount of formula was placed within the mixing cup, poured some bottles, and anxiously awaited the 10:00 feeding to see if it was better.

Y'all...it was flawless. BOth babies ate their entire bottles in approximately 30 minutes. We put them down and they slept soundly. We fed them once during the night (as we have been doing for the past few days), and it was pretty darn flawless as well. As was this morning's feeding.

DSS, I promise not to make this mistake again. I promise.

(Note to self - Determine what twelve scoops equals in a measuring cup so that I don't have to keep track of counting, because in my altered state of mind, counting to twelve is apparently pretty darn taxing. God help us all when they increase the amount of formula!)

7 comments:

Mike Gellatly said...

so happy y'all have found a system that works for you! keep up the good work!!

and if ya want, i can send matt over to help you count in the evenings. i think he can count as high as 15.

~kate

Jaysey said...

Yeah...find a one scoop solution--counting to twelve is bound to lead to errors...way too easy to get distracted.

Jaysey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Morgans said...

WOW, who knew one scoop would really mess things up that bad?! I am glad that the kinks are worked out of the system! And you know it's not like you have anything else on your mind when dipping out 12 scoops...seriously it's not like you have two babies in your house? :)

Carissa and Craig said...

wow those two are eating like champs. Turner the bigger of our two eaters didn't hit three ounces consistently until about 6 weeks!

The highest I got to counting was 26 scoops, before it was formula only and we started making the bottles when they were ready to eat!

keep up the good work!

Ashley said...

Oh I can't wait to see new pictures!!! How about some of you and KD with the babies too? Come on... :-)

Jen said...

Oh man! I'm glad that you figured that out... I am impressed with your mixology-- how lucky for K. to have you to help with that and the feedings as well.
:-)