Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Honesty

Before any of our faithful readers get the impression that we're without any hiccups in our attempts to raise these two babies who have recently invaded our home, I wanted to point out some of our massive panic attacks of the past week. These are by no means the ONLY such attacks we've experienced, but I want this to be an accurate portrayal of our family life.

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die


Some dear friends sent us a beautiful flower arrangement in the hospital. These flowers arrived in a blue flower vase. Fast Forward a week or so, and the flowers are wilted, so the flowers get tossed, and the vase gets put in the dishwasher.

This vase, unbeknown to us, was a painted vase, and proceeded to chip and color everything in our dishwasher blue. Under normal circumstances, this would be pretty annoying. However, add in the fact that our entire bottle supply was ALSO in the dishwasher at the same time, well, there you have a near disaster. We spent a few hours trying to clean 'em up, but finally decided that no amount of scrubbing or boiling would ever make us comfortable with feeding our babies out of blue speckled bottles. So Dad got the very special privelage of going to Wal-Mart on a Friday night at 10:00 PM to purchase new bottles.

Got home, Grandma (Ann) helped us sterilize everything, and we were back in business. Crisis averted (kinda).

Moral of story? : Don't put colored vases in dishwasher without first checking to see if it is a painted vase.

My little scavenger(s)

So remember when I wrote about our dog Allie, and how she likes trash?

Well, she hit the motherload yesterday morning.

There was a bag of dirty diapers sitting in the laundry room, ready to be taken out to the trash can. Dad had gone downstairs to work, and the dogs were in for breakfast and general inside time.

A little while later, I returned back upstairs to refill the coffee cup, and was greated wtih the smell of baby poo. I thought this to be odd, since the nursery with the diaper champ is a good little ways from the kitchen/office area. Upon further exploration, I discovered that my nasty little girl (allie) had found her own little corner of heaven right in our laundry room.

I'll spare you the picture, but I DID get one, just for posterity sake.

Cleaning that up was super-duper fun.

Moral of story: Don't 1) Leave bags of dirty diapers accessible to your nasty little dogs and 2) Don't let your dogs be nasty little dogs.

8 comments:

Jaysey said...

Ewww! Allie! No!
That sucks about the bottles. I would've bought new ones, too. Like there aren't enough scary contaminants out there without blue paint-speckled bottles.
One day you will look back on these types of stories and laugh...I know this is true because I'm already laughing. Sorry...but it's sitcom funny....Everybody Loves Raymond funny.

Daniel said...

Jenn, its at the point I can post about it that its funny. In the middle of it? Not so much.

And Everybody Loves Raymond isn't funny. Now, had you said Arrested Development funny...

Colly said...

The pooh story made me want to vomit.

Chap and Heather said...

Wow, sounds like Allie needed a little attention. I bet that looks really pretty in her white fur. Gross.

You are a good daddy for making the trip to Wal-Mart...I hope you didn't have to say 'nipple' several times to the staff. That's fun =)

I'm telling Chap you said 'super duper'. He'll be delighted =)

The Morgans said...

I love these stories!!! I love the honesty that you and Krissy have thru this entire process, keep it coming!! I would have thrown up if I had to clean up the poop, that is awful! Oh and I saw on US Weekly.com that they are having a cutest twins contest, Smith and Addison would so win. As if you have nothing else to do, you should enter them.

Jaysey said...

I don't watch Arrested Development. I picked Raymond because they have kids and stuff like that happens to them. That show cracks me up. How about Curb Your Enthusiasm funny? Now, that show is uncomfortably funny.

Mike Gellatly said...

glad to hear some honesty... sorry for the bumps, but if you didn't have some i would worry. wish i could say i've never found a dog tearing up trash/dirty diapers... but we've been there done that. never covered bottles in paint, that's a new one. but i'm glad y'all survived.

i think the kids just slowly build up the crisis levels... one day after smith wrecks the car, you'll be wishing the worst of it was having to drive to walmart at 10pm for new bottles.

love y'all! hang in there!

~kate

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

i couldn't see feeding my kid out paint speckled bottles either. good call on that one!

poor Allie girl! the dogs just kinda become second string, don't they....although we still love them.